Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Random Daily Happenings and COOKING!

Today was another good day with the kids. I think they are getting used to working hard - I call it the pressure cooker approach. When things get busy with work, I have to rely on the kids more and they always pull through (I know that's what you are thinking - gee, ya think she'd learn - See post from Sunday).
Here's the pressure cooker approach: things get under pressure for a little while, but when the steam is gone, everything is tender, nicely seasoned, and so much better than it was before. In addition to me working more, we've been doubling up on days in school and the kids are handling it like champs.

Tonight I am preparing three meals (grilled chicken and pork chops, and meatloaf) I'm also making extra meatloaf to freeze. Raeley is also going to cook one meal this week. She decided on Chicken Noodle Soup and toast. I grilled extra chicken for Raeley to put in her soup. I have some left over chicken broth I'm ready to get out of my freezer.

We have a joke about toast! To digress for humor's sake: One day I told Raeley I wanted her to start fixing breakfast for everyone while I am working out in the morning so the kids wouldn't eat cereal every day and so I could have a protein-full breakfast after my workout. We decided to start with dinner so she could cook when I was home. One morning I walk into the kitchen and there are crumbs all over the counter and a pile of toast on a paper towel. It sat there and sat there, so finally I inquired to who felt so compelled to make toast and not eat it or clean it up. Raeley said, "Mom, I don't know how to fix breakfast, but I can make toast!" I think she did it so I wouldn't ask her to fix breakfast again! Sweet Raeley, for some reason (maybe because she knows she can, or she has a thing for toast), likes to make toast for everyone. She has realized, though, that no one likes cold toast and the other kids LIKE to use the toaster. We have a funny story about toasters, but I'll save that for another time.

I ran into my friend Penny at the grocery store. She bought Cheerios for 69 cents a box! I had a coupon for them in my purse (for some strange reason) so I bought a few boxes, too. I only saved around $2.50 a box. She saved more than $3.50 a box! She tells you how she does it on her website, and no matter where you live, these tips can help you. They are not regional.

I started reading The Shack today. It forces introspection. So far I really like it. I'll keep you updated on that.

No comments: