Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gourmet cooking with my boys

We were at the library last week and Robert saw some Bon Apetit mags for sale for ten cents. He got a few and wanted to cook a meal from them, so Saturday night that's what we did. He and Jonathan and Cameron and I all in the kitchen together. Since we were planning such an elaborate meal, I decided to share it with our new neighbors. Everything went great. Robert enjoyed helping plan the menu and I was just there to show him how to do things and speed things along. Jonathan got to try everything as well and Cameron was a great "stirrer". Well, I don't know what went wrong - if the chicken was frozen or if I looked at the time wrong, but we were sitting down to eat and our neighbor turned to me with his eyebrows raised and asked if I thought the meat was cooked through. OH WELL it was red raw - not just mushy undercooked! Not even close to being done. They were very gracious (and hungry) guests and got to taste the gourmet chicken as there were left over drumsticks from the kids' table. No one was very confident that those were cooked through, though. Eberything else tasted good. Here was the menu:
Oven-Baked Chicken
Walnut Asaparagus Risotto
Broccoli Tomato Salad


Here is the breading for the chicken:
3 cups bread crumbs
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
6 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
4 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp oregano
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper

Mix butter and dijon mustard (recipe calls for 3 sticks butter melted and whisk in 9 tbsp dijon mustard, I used 1 stick butter and 3 tbsp mustard).
brush on chicken and coat in crumb mixture. Bake on greased cookie sheet 1 hour or until done. This will cover 12 servings of chicken (24 drumsticks).

No comments: