Thursday, July 29, 2010

On Hiking ..What I Wish List




It has been a long time since I went on the backpacking trip, and although I loved it, I have not taken the time to blog about it like I had intended. It was a great trip and I loved the challenge, the exertion, the feeling of being surrounded by nature. If you have ever thought about going backpacking, here's a list I wish I had read before I left:

What I'm so glad I brought:
My homemade dehydrated food
Biodegradable wipes
Extra pair of shoes
Hydration pack (like a Camelback)
Water filter
Ibuprofen

What I didn't need:
Extra clothes
Cap
Sunglasses
Cool Tog Bandana (didn't work too well)

What I should have brought:
Duct Tape
Deodorant (don't ask)
Better creamer for coffee
Knee Brace
Lightweight knife (ours was too heavy)
Walking sticks (OK, I had sticker shock - if you buy the trekking poles - ski pole looking things, they seem so expensive. I think it would be worth it!)

More on the extra shoes - just think - you are wearing your hiking boots aggressively all day. You get to camp, tired and hungry with food to cook and a tent to set up. I can't tell you how good it felt to get out of those boots and put on my Keens. I saw quite a few people with Crocs -which might have been a better choice due to how light they are.

More on the walking stick- It doesn't look very authentic, in my opinion, to be walking around with an aluminum ski pole when there is no snow around. When I overworked my knee, I found me a good walking stick - my son Robert would have been impressed. I could not believe how much it helped. So much so, that I don't have a desire to go walking without some kind of stick -be it aluminum or tree.

No comments: