Thursday, May 6, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

It's so easy, even a 7 year old can do it. I wish I would have timed how quickly this went. And OHHH, the savings! It's also better for the economy. Since I have had the Borax for a LONG time, and didn't save the receipts from the other, I googled the prices.

Cameron actually made the recipe for me, and next time it will be faster because I won't have to measure the water, I just sharpie'd a fill-line on the bucket.

1 cup Arm and Hammer washing soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 bar Zote* soap (I bought a 14 oz bar so I cut it in thirds)

Heat 4 cups of water in a pot. When boiling, bring it down to simmer. While water heats, grate soap. I used a Salad Shooter. Remember, it's soap, so it will wash off easy! Add washing soda and Borax. Mix until melted. Fill a large container (with lid) with 3 gallons of water. I used a paint bucket from WalMart that cost less than $3. Add melted soap and stir. Let sit 24 hours until it gels. Mix well. That's it!

*Fels Naptha is also a natural soap that is good to use, just stay away from perfumed bars with heavy dyes and scents.

Here's the price breakdown:
Arm and Hammer Washing Soda $3.50 55 oz (7 loads) ($0.50)
20 Mule Team Borax $9 76 oz (19 loads) ($0.47)
Zote Soap $1 at Big Lots 14 oz (3 loads) ($0.33)
$1.30 for 4 gallons ($0.015 a load) - that's right - one and a half cents a load.

My laundry detergent of choice cost $7 for 44 loads ($0.16 a load)

I saved the last container of detergent I bought and filled it with the detergent. I use one for one in the measuring cup- really a little more of the homemade stuff.

You just gotta try this!

No comments: